For 115 years, North Shore Gas has delivered safe, reliable natural gas to residents and businesses in the 54 communities between Winnetka and the Illinois-Wisconsin border. Along the way, the company has played a key role in the development of the North Shore as one of the best places to live and work in the nation.

Key Highlights

1900
North Shore Gas Company was incorporated under Illinois law.
In December 1900, North Shore Gas Company acquired all of the assets of Waukegan Gas, Light and Fuel Company.
1908
North Shore Gas Company merged into Winnetka Gas Company.
Winnetka Gas Company changed its name to North Shore Consolidated Gas Company.
1912
North Shore Consolidated Gas Company changed its name to North Shore Gas Company.
1927
William A. Baehr Organization took control of North Shore Gas Company and also organized North Shore Coke and Chemical Company. North Shore Coke and Chemical Company and North Shore Gas Company became subsidiaries of North Continent Utilities Corporation.
1941
North Shore Coke and Chemical Company was dissolved and most of its assets were transferred to North Shore Gas Company.
1963
The Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company acquired North Shore Gas Company.
1967
Peoples Gas Company was incorporated as a holding company to hold the stock of The Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company and North Shore Gas and other subsidiaries.
1980
Peoples Gas Company changed its name to Peoples Energy Corporation ("PEC").
2007
Integrys Energy Group, Inc. acquired PEC. PEC remained the holding company for The Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company and North Shore Gas.
2015
Integrys Energy Group, Inc. and its operating companies were acquired and now do business as WEC Energy Group. North Shore Gas continues to operate as a separate utility under the new parent company.

WEC Energy Group