Natural gas is a smart energy choice. It is convenient, clean and efficient. Natural gas is also economical.
Coffee costs about $3 per day. That $3 per day used for natural gas can warm your home, dry your clothes and cook dinner.
Overall, natural gas costs are about 2.5% of an average Illinois household's income. This is a great value when you think about all that natural gas provides for your family.
Advantages of natural gas
- Safe - Natural gas does not have a color, taste or odor. It is non-toxic. A special odorant is added to help you identify gas leaks. Natural gas is lighter than air. It vents easier than propane if a leak occurs.
- Abundant - There is an estimated 100-year supply of natural gas in the United States. Nearly 95% of our nation's natural gas comes from North America.
- Efficient - Natural gas heating systems and appliances use less energy and save you money.
- Gas water heaters can produce twice as much hot water as electric, at 30% less cost.
- Gas stoves offer the fastest, most precise cooking temperature.
- Gas dryers dry items faster, so they use less energy.
- Clean - Natural gas is a clean-burning fuel compared to other fossil fuels. Choosing gas is better for the environment, because it helps avoid an increase in pollutants.