Most gas safety tips are common sense. But, in today's fast-paced world, accidents can sometimes occur. Take a few minutes to remind yourself of the basic safety rules to follow around your home.
- Have at least one smoke detector on each floor.
- Illinois law requires every home and apartment to have a CO alarm
within 15 feet of sleeping areas.
- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
- Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
- Keep filters and exhausts cleaned and properly vented.
- Check vents regularly for blockage.
- Don't store flammable liquids near the furnace or gas water heater.
- Keep the area around the water heater free of clutter.
- To prevent scalding, set water heat no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Have your furnace inspected every year and keep the filter clean.
- Never hang things from utility pipes.
- Keep combustibles away from heat sources.
- Follow a space heater's instructions carefully and use with proper ventilation.
- Stay away from LP tanks, meters and hookups.