North Shore Gas ("NSG")
(Revised August 9, 2012)
- Creating an Online Profile
- Visitor Information
- Our Use of Your IP Address
- Links to Other Sites
Creating an Online Profile
If you create an online profile to access various services related to your residential account or other applications involving your business account on the website, you may be asked to submit personal information such as your account number, name, last 4 of SSN/FEIN and email address. You may also be asked to submit additional personal information or financial information to use specific services. We will protect all information that you provide us on the website, as set forth below:
- The personal information you provide us enables you to access self-service options offered on our website. To better serve you, we may use your email address to contact you in response to inquiries, or provide you with energy-related information. This information will be accessible to anyone who has access to your email. You will have the option to opt out of email marketing messages at anytime.
- Other than as set forth herein, we will not disclose your personal information to third parties without your written consent (which consent may be obtained electronically, such as by email), unless we reasonably believe that the disclosure is essential to the conduct of NSG's business, including but not limited to where such disclosure is necessary to (a) comply with the law, legal process or our regulators, (b) collect unpaid bills, (c) enable NSG's employees or consultants to provide service to you and to otherwise perform their duties, (d) comply with interchange functions, (e) obtain and provide credit reporting information, or (f) resolve customer disputes or inquiries. We do not provide your personal information to third parties for the purpose of telemarketing, email or direct-mail solicitation.
- You should protect the confidentiality of your username and password. You are responsible for all activity on the website accessed by your username and password. Access by NSG's employees or consultants to any personal information you provide is limited to only that necessary to provide the business service offered and to otherwise allow such employees or consultants to perform their duties.
We try to ensure that the personal information we maintain about you is accurate, current and complete. If you discover that your personal information is incorrect, not current or incomplete, you should update your online profile.
Once you have logged in using your online profile, any account information that you enter or that is displayed in your browser window is secured using an industry standard security technology known as Secure Socket Layer ("SSL"). By using SSL, we attempt to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal and financial information. Your browser must be capable of supporting SSL; please check with your browser manufacturer for details.
We do collect information about the website use, such as the number of visitors to the website and the number of users that click on certain links or services. For some applications, we link usage information with the particular customer visiting the website. We use industry standard software to create summary statistics of the usage data we collect, which may then be used to highlight what our visitors find interesting, to improve our website design specifications, to identify system performance issues, and for other internal purposes.
Our Use of Your IP Address
An Internet Protocol ("IP") address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer every time that you browse the Internet. When you visit the website, our servers log your current IP address. We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our servers and to administer our website. Data gathered from logging your IP address is not tied to your personal information and is not used to identify you.
Cookies are small text files placed on your computer's hard drive by Web page servers. When you visit the website, our server may create "session" cookies, making it more convenient for you to use our site by verifying when you travel from page to page that you have signed up with our online services.
As is true of most websites, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole.
In some of our email messages, we use a "click-through URL" linked to content on the NSG website. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our website. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, you should not click text or graphic links in the email messages.
Links to Other Sites
While browsing the website, you may encounter hypertext links to other websites operated by third parties. These other websites may send their own cookies to you, log your IP address, and otherwise collect data or solicit personal information.
We do not control and are not responsible for what third parties do in connection with their websites, or how they handle your personal information. Please exercise caution and consult the privacy policies posted on such websites for further information.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us.