Purchasing natural gas through a supplier may be one option to help you
control your natural gas costs. But the level of savings and service depends
on the supplier you choose. When considering suppliers, use the same approach
you take for purchasing other services for your home.
Thoroughly evaluate the reliability and quality of all your
prospective suppliers by asking tough questions:
- What is their financial strength and stability?
- Can they offer firm service without interruption?
- Do they have a local presence?
- What pricing options are available?
- What are the savings?
- How many bills you will receive each month?
- How you will be billed for gas supply?
- What billing or payment plan options do they offer?
- What are the procedures for responding to customer inquiries?
- What are the length, terms and conditions of the service contract?
- What are the customer service hours?
- What are the penalty fees for leaving the program or switching suppliers?
- What is the availability of special programs or incentive packages?
When comparing proposals, make sure that the terms are comparable.
To obtain more information about the residential and small commercial choice
program, you may contact the Illinois Commerce Commission at 1-800-524-0795.