Deposits and late payment charges waived for income-eligible customers
Beginning Jan. 1, 2023, customers who meet one or more of the following criteria are eligible to apply for
natural gas service without paying a deposit and will no longer be assessed a late payment charge:
No action is required for customers currently receiving assistance through LIHEAP, PIPP or Share the Warmth.
These benefits will be applied automatically to their respective accounts if applicable.
||LIHEAP and PIPP annual income
*Customers whose annual household income is at or below 80% of the AMI, and those who are eligible to receive Lifeline service,
must apply for the deposit and late payment charges benefits by filling out the Deposit and Late Payment Charge
Waiver Application and providing a copy of one of the following supporting pieces of documentation:
Current income documents
- Prior year state, federal or Tribal tax return
- Social Security statement of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Retirement or pension statement of benefits
- Unemployment or workers’ compensation statement of benefits
- Divorce decree, child support award or similar official document showing household income
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal-specific programs: Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF), Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), Head Start
- Income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Veterans Pension and Survivor Benefit programs
Loss of income documents (dated within the last three months)
- Layoff/furlough notice
- Unemployment application, approval letter or benefit statement
- Unemployment or workers’ compensation statement of benefit statement
Completed Low-income or Zero-income form
If your income falls under the guidelines above, please complete and submit this form: Low-income Form.
If you currently have no household income, please complete and submit this form: Zero-income Form.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, we will return the deposit to you within two billing cycles.
- The deposit will first be applied to any outstanding balance on your account. If there are any remaining funds, they will automatically be returned to you by check.
- If your account is current, the deposit will automatically be returned to you by check.
The completed form and supporting documentation can be emailed or faxed to the following:
PO Box 467429
Atlanta GA 31146-9801
Waivers and return of deposit not applicable to customers who have been identified
as having benefited from tampering with a North Shore Gas natural gas meter.
Eligibility for these waivers and return of deposit does not qualify you for the
Illinois Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), the Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP), Share the Warmth,
Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) or any other utility financial assistance program.
Renewal deadline details: A company designation of eligibility is effective through Dec. 31, 2023.
The designation of eligibility may be renewed annually through the above process if and as long as the customer
remains eligible. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions regarding the duration of an eligibility designation,
eligibility remains subject to the statutory exception relating to tampering with respect to waiver of deposits.